Saturday, December 20, 2008

Confessions of an Empty Nest Mother

I must confess that my home will never grace the pages of a "lovely home & garden magazine." You know the ones, they have a pictorial parade of homes with elaborate Christmas decorations. Those families truly have amazing Christmas decor... every ornament on their 10 plus foot tree matches in color & style. The wreaths are all perfectly hung with bows in the same hue as the matching ornaments on the tree.
That I'm afraid will never be me, you see my ornaments are 20, 30 or more years old. My wreaths are faded, and the yarn is unraveling, most of the glitter has fallen off. Yet, I simply must put those decorations up every year. Some of the ornaments were my grandmothers, some she actually made; little knitted bells, oh how I miss her. Other ornaments and my ragged wreaths were made by two of my "main men." Every time I look at them I remember the beautiful blue -eyed boys who brought them home from school. There is not a boutique anywhere that can produce an ornament that will shine like the tinfoil and macaroni hanging on my tree; but maybe that's just the way they look through this Mom's teary eyes.
I love you Brad & Joshua, and I am very proud of the fine young men you have become. Merry Christmas & Many Blessings to you in the New Year. And to all my Family & Friends I wish you a wonderful Holiday Season & a Blessed New Year.
Peace, Dottie
















No comments: