Monday, February 9, 2009

Calling All Photographers

As you all know I volunteer for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, a volunteer organization made up of professional photographers. We serve families who have a critically ill child and those who have lost a child. We provide the families with professional portraits of their children at no cost.
On January 25th, I was called to photograph a very ill little girl & her family. She was not expected to live past six months old. When I walked in the door I was asked if I would have time for a second session that day since there was a family who's baby would not make it through the day. After my first session, I was told the other little girl had just passed. After giving the family some time, I did my second session that day.
Although this may seem like a drain, it is actually something that fills me with pride & purpose. I think of my work with NILMDTS as a ministry, I know that the portraits I take are going to help the families heal, and provide them with some comfort.
Yesterday I recieved word that the first baby I photographed on that day passed away on Saturday night. (Below find plaques in memory of Heaven's newest Angels)
If you think you could work with NILMDTS, please contact me, I'd be happy to give you some information about this wonderful organization.
Peace, Dottie






1 comment:

Claire Goodman said...

Dottie: I am so grateful that you do this work... having witnessed you at work at UVA Medical Center I know how important the service you offer is and how precious is the gift that you give with your photography. Blessings, Claire